CANCELLED: Mrs Puntila and Her Man Matti
A Citizens Theatre and Royal Lyceum Theatre Edinburgh co-production in association with DOT Theatre, Istanbul
In response to the unprecedented situation created by Coronavirus and in line with the latest advice issued by the Scottish and UK Governments, it is with great regret that we must cancel all performances of Mrs Puntila and Her Man Matti at Tramway from 25 March – 11 April. If you have booked, you are entitled to a full refund on your tickets and will be contacted directly via email. See our full statement on Coronavirus.
By Bertolt Brecht. Adapted by Denise Mina.
Dear audience, let me just say in rhymes
That these are awfully ‘interesting’ times.
Roll up, roll up, and come and see
A One-Percenter roaming free!
When Argyll landowner Mrs Puntila is drunk, she’s a generous and kind-hearted boss who convinces everyone they can have a bright future under her wing. When she’s sober, she’s a cruel and greedy tyrant. Behind the scenes, her shrewd chauffeur Matti irons out her drunken mishaps while pursuing a hopeless romance with her already-spoken-for daughter Eva.
Celebrated actress Elaine C Smith brings her comedic genius to the role of Mrs Puntila, with Steven McNicoll playing her put-upon servant.
Scottish writer Denise Mina’s new adaptation of Brecht’s comedy satirises the injustices and absurdities of capitalism. It promises a hilarious and thought-provoking night of theatre that pulls no punches - the perfect antidote to today's gloomy political climate.
Mrs Puntila and Her Man Matti is supported by Friends of the Citizens
Date Time Information 25 March 7:30pm Preview 26 March 7:30pm 27 March 7:30pm 28 March 7:30pm 31 March 7:30pm Post-show Discussion 1 April 7:30pm 2 April 7:30pm 3 April 7:30pm Signed 4 April 2pm Audio Described Captioned 4 April 7:30pm 7 April 7:30pm 8 April 7:30pm 9 April 7:30pm 11 April 2pm 11 April 7:30pm
Cast & Creative Team
Liam King (Robertson Trust Citizens Theatre Actor Intern)
Stephanie Payne (Citizens Theatre Actor Intern)
Elaine C. Smith
Writer Denise Mina
Director Murat Daltaban
Designer Tom Piper
LX Designer Katharine Williams
Composer and Sound Designer Oğuz Kaplangi
Associate Designer Max Johns
Assistant Director Louise Shephard
Movement Director Emma Jayne Park
Casting Director Laura Donnelly
Translation and Production Assistant Maya Kurdoglu
Literal Translation Susan Hingley
This exhilarating vision is brought to life by Elaine C Smith, actor, feminist and activist.
- Morning Star
Bawdy, brilliant, glorious and gallus.
- Edinburgh Festival
An impressive, often hilarious, new version.
- Sunday Herald
"We want it to be really, really funny. We want people to leave feeling uplifted and angry and motivated to stand up for each other."
"comedy really is universal"
"Puntila And Matti is one of his [Brecht’s] funniest plays, and it’s got these strong elements of vaudeville and slapstick that create real belly-laughs."
""One of the main aims of this piece is to illustrate how the 1% in power manipulates the other 99%.”
"“This play talks about rights and also responsibilities. Do we demand that power lives up to its responsibilities?"