An award for contemporary theatre and performance makers from the new Take Me Somewhere festival and the Citizens Theatre
Call for proposals
Background to the Award
This award is an exciting opportunity for a Scottish artist to develop and present a new theatre/performance project at the Citizens Theatre as part of the Take Me Somewhere festival in Spring 2017.
Take Me Somewhere is a new celebratory festival of contemporary performance in 2017, taking place in venues across Glasgow which builds on the legacy of The Arches’ arts programme. The festival will consist of events created through a programme of artistic development opportunities, combined with inspirational work from beyond Scotland. Take Me Somewhere aims to provide a crucial support structure to Scotland’s most innovative and exciting community of artists and makers.
We are delighted to be partnering with the Citizens Theatre who share a commitment to developing the next generation of Scotland’s community of theatre makers.
The Citizens Theatre is an iconic venue and theatre company based in the Gorbals area of Glasgow. It has been one of Scotland’s flagship producing theatres since 1945. It presents a world-class contemporary repertoire based on bold interpretations of classic texts. At its name suggests, it places a strong emphasis on work that engages with people of all ages, cultures and social backgrounds through performance and participation that everyone can access.
We are open to all project proposals but in this first year we would like to particularly encourage revelatory and revolutionary retellings - projects that offer radical and experimental reinterpretations of classic, celebrated and known texts.
What the Award provides:
• An opportunity to present a public performance in the Citizens Theatre’s Circle Studio for 3 nights in March 2017.
• £4,000 towards the awardee’s fee and expenses for the creation of the proposed project and performances in Glasgow
• Development/rehearsal space at the Citizens Theatre
• Mentorship from Dominic Hill (Artistic Director, Citizens Theatre)
• A technical stage manager
• Standard sound and lighting facilities
• Billing and marketing of the production under the banner of Take Me Somewhere at the Citizens
To apply you must be an artist based in Scotland who has been working professionally for a minimum of two years.
How to apply
Please provide up to two pages that include:
• An introduction to who you are.
• A description of your proposed project. We will assess the proposals on the quality of the ideas and would like you to be realistic about what can be achieved within the given budget.
• A broad outline timeline and how you propose to spend the £4,000 Award.
In addition you may also include:
• An up-to-date CV.
• No more than 2 video clips of your previous work.
If you would like to apply via a video message, please do so, and ensure it contains the same information as requested above, within a 5 minute maximum duration.
Find Out More
Technical information and services
Decision Making Process
All proposals will be assessed by a panel consisting of Jackie Wylie (Artistic Director, TMS), Dominic Hill (Artistic Director, Citizens Theatre) and Gareth Nicholls (Associate Artist, Citizens Theatre)
Tuesday 8 November 2016: Deadline for Submissions
Sunday 20 November 2016: Interviews in Glasgow
2 - 4 March 2017: Performances in the Circle Studio, Citizens Theatre
NB. We may not be able to provide detailed feedback on all proposals